Common in South-East Asian cuisine, banana blossoms (aka banana flower or banana heart) are tear-shaped maroon or purplish flowers hanging at the end of banana clusters. They can be eaten raw or cooked and are used primarily in salads, curries or soups.
You can find this new product on our website!
Check out this recipe below for Vegan 'Fish' and Chips
- 1 (18oz, 510 g) can of Nature's Charm Banana Blossom
- frozen french fries
- Oil for frying
- 2 cups (470 ml) water
- 1 tbsp (7 g) kelp powder or seaweed flakes
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tsp (1 g) chopped dill
- 1 cup(120 g) flour (chilled)
- 1 tsp (4 g) celery salt
- 1 tsp (2 g) paprika
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Pinch garlic powder
- 1 cup (236 ml) ice cold IPA or other beer
- Vegan Tartar Sauce:
- ¼ cup (58 g) vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp (10 g) minced cornichons (small pickles)
- 2 tsp (20 g) caper, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) white vinegar
- ½ tsp dijon
- 1 tsp (2 g) fresh dill, chopped
- Pinch salt and pepper
- Drain the banana blossoms then shape them into filets. Wrap the blossoms in clean kitchen towels and squeeze out all of the brine.
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients in a mixing bowl. Submerge the banana blossoms in marinade. Cover and place in the freezer for 1 hour.
- Wait 40 minutes. Place the beer and flour in the freezer for ten minutes to chill. This will help the filets stay extra crispy when frying. Once it's chilled, mix the flour with the rest of the batter ingredients except for the beer. Slowly add the beer to the flour mixture while stirring. Cover and place the batter in the freezer for ten minutes so it is extra cold.
- Bake the fries according to package instructions. Make the sauce. Cover and place in the fridge. Add the flour to a plate.
- Heat the oil in a large deep skillet to 365F. Meanwhile, take the banana blossoms out of the freezer and drain. Gently wrap the blossoms in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze all of the water out. Press the leaves together tightly to form a filet shape, then coat them in the flour, getting in all the crevices. Dunk them in a thick coating of batter then fry them in the hot oil until golden brown and crisp, about 4 minutes. Flip halfway.
- Fry the banana blossoms in two batches to avoid overcrowding the pan. If the temperature of the oil drops, the filets will become greasy. I recommend heating the oil back up between batches so the second batch is perfectly crisp.
To test if the oil is hot, add a bit of salt. When it sizzles, it's ready!
Recipe : Carrots & Flowers